|Moderate Chemical Muesli Bars|
|I find this the easiest way to get the muesli mix really well compressed to end up with a bar that won't fall apart. I use baking paper on top and a straight-sided glass to smooth and press the slice all over.|
"Hidden Nutrition". It's my new mantra, thanks to Mim over at the facebook Failsafe Eating Support Group. (She is the purée queen, adding chocko and swede to all sorts of things.) I love to make food that the kids will just eat and eat because it's yummy... and I know they're actually getting something that is GOOD FOR THEM. Not just 'not too bad', but actually GOOD. The 2 girls share food at an after-school art class and the other kids all love these as well. So, it's not just about my kids being 'used to stuff with no flavour'. (hardy har har) Okay, so what's the secret in this one? There are 2. Condensed milk (HELLO) and chocolate chips (MUMMA). Did you notice I said 'Moderate chemical' up there? What I'm weighing up here is the actual dose of a chemical eaten vs the benefit of the other foods. THIS IS NOT AN ELIMINATION DIET FOOD... unless you omit the chocolate and the vegetables. Ms C seems to be tolerating these quite well; small pieces and only every 3-4 days.
Ms D just sidled up to me and read this post over my shoulder.... "ZUCCHINI?!?!?!?!" Yes, dear.
SAFETY FIRST: Always use a spatula, those Condensed Milk tins are sharp... and bandaids just won't stick to tongues.
- 4 cups of cereals
- I use 2 cups of Oats, 1 cup each of Puffed Rice, Puffed Millet
- 2 tabs Quinoa Flakes
- 2 tabs Psyllium Husks
- 1 large Carrot*, peeled and finely grated
- 1/2 medium Zucchini*, peeled and finely grated
- 2 tabs Rice Bran Oil
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips ** (No additives)
- 1 x 395g-400g can of Condensed Milk (low-fat or full-fat; you choose)
- Preheat oven 180ºC
- Line 2 large baking trays
- Combine cereals, Quinoa, Psyllium, Carrot, Zucchini in a large bowl
- Pour oil over and stir to ensure it's well dispersed
- Spread onto 2 trays and then cook until lightly browned - about 20 minutes
- Allow to cool
- Put Choc Cips and Condensed Milk into large mixing bowl
- Add cooled muesli mixture and stir well for a few minutes to ensure it is all well coated with the Condensed Milk
- Press into lined deep tray, about 30x30cm (12") until it is quite smooth
- Bake in moderate oven for 20-30 minutes or until browned
- Allow to completely cool then finish off in the fridge for at least an hour before slicing it into bars or squares... or whatever shape you might choose.
- Keeps for a few days.... not really.... it won't keep because it's so yummy! Can be frozen and allowed to thaw in the lunchbox, no worries.
** Very high Amines
Verdict: Did you see where I mentioned Condensed milk and Chocolate? Yeah... right. Need I say more? Pfffft.
Tweeks: Oh, the places you could go here. I plan to gradually increase the quinoa flakes. If you have any home-dried apples and pears, you can add these too. Fresh coconut is Moderate amines as well if you wanted to bother grating that? You might also like to try Rice Bubbles, Puffed Amaranth, Millet Rings to make up the 4 cups of cereals. But I'd start with 2 cups of rolled oats.
Estimated Nutritional information supplied by : Food Standards Australia New Zealand
|Servings per package: 20.00|
Serving size: 0.59 g