Tangy Quinoa 'Risotto' with Ricotta



When the kids ask what's for dinner and I give them the answer (because I've finally got back on the menu planning wagon)...  and then they screw up their noses and say "Awwwwww....  I don't want that!"..... I lose steam.  Yes,  some goes out my ears (ha ha) but I mean I lose momentum.  Suddenly I don't feel like making it anymore and so I sit down and start looking online for inspiration.  Then I notice I have some notifications on facebook....  then an email comes in... then I must update my status... then... I must comment on that hilarious picture about homebirth... then... then dinner is not made.

But Ms D saved the day when she suggested Risotto.  Woohoo!!!!  Yay!!!  Oh...  wait....  we don't have any arborio rice.  (And really,  that much cheese is not a good idea as far as amines go)... and then I wonder.... hmmmm....  I get excited all over again.  Can I make risotto with quinoa?  Thanks to google... I found a few recipes and decided I'd just follow my gut on it.  So,  here it is,  a Quinotto?

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup white Quinoa ( rinsed 3 times)
  • 1/2 - 1 Leek, finely diced
  • 2-3 cloves Garlic, crushed
  • 3-4 sticks Celery, finely sliced
  • 1-2 Carrots*, finely diced  (omit if not having Salicylates)
  • 4-5 stalks Asparagus, sliced  (leave aside until the end)
  • 2 litres hot water
  • 1 tab Vegetable Stock Concentrate
  • 1 tsp Citric Acid
  • 150-200g Ricotta cheese (preservative free!!)
  • Extra Water if required.
METHOD:
  • Wash the Quinoa and drain while you're slicing and dicing the vegies
  • Put Leek, Garlic, Celery, Carrot into the Thermomix and sautée on 100ºC, 5 minutes, Reverse soft
  • Put in Butterfly attachment
  • In a separate jug, combine hot Water, Stock Concentrate and Citric Acid
  • Put drained Quinoa and stock mixture into Thermomix
  • Cook on 100ºC, 30 minutes, Reverse Speed Soft
  • Add Ricotta cheese and stir for 3 minutes on Reverse Speed Soft
  • Stir through with Asparagus in a serving bowl (eg Thermoserver)
  • At this stage, I realised it was too gluggy and so I added some water from the kettle, until it I judged it to be right.  You may not find this... but keep an eye on it.
*Moderate Salicylates
Verdict:  Again,  I am pretty amazed I came up with this.  A little it chuffed.  Ms D tasted it and declared it 'YUM' and then didn't eat it "There's something missing."  Ms C ate it all and went in for seconds, Mr JR ate it up and Mr JA didn't.  I enjoyed mine,  but agreed it needed another something.  Mr frillypants hit the nail on the head I think when he said it needed some leafy greens.  ALAS!!  If only we could have those leafy greens.  So,  if you can tolerate them,  you might like to add some baby spinach or rocket.

Tweeks:  Give those greens a try (even some Pak Choy?),  maybe add some kidney beans for a different texture.  Mr frillypants' meal was gluggy... again...  because he ate about 30 minutes after the rest of us.  That quinoa is very thirsty!

Comments