|Quinoa and Rice Salad Mark 2|
|Quinoa and Rice Salad Mark 1|
I have been hearing about Quinoa for the past year or two... in increasing frequency. One day I bought some, in the "Health food" ( I question that definition) aisle of the supermarket and then it sat in my pantry for soooo long. I just didn't know what to do with it!
Finally, after asking around, I was told to just use it like cous cous. As a side or a base. So, I took the plunge and decided to make a meal, with some lamb, roast vegies and a yogurty sauce. While it was cooking, some family members began commenting on the smell. As it neared the end of its simmering time, I kid you not, Mr JA (then aged 19 months) broke his leg!
As I sat there, breastfeeding the poor little guy as he forced himself back down into sleep where the pain couldn't touch him, Mr frillypants arrived home and I started firing off orders: turn off the stove, pack some nappies and some crackers, grab a water bottle... and then off we went to the local hospital. When we got home, it was after 9pm, Mr JA had a plaster cast from upper thigh to toe and everyone was hungry. I made wraps that night, with some quickly chopped vegies and pan-cooked lamb.... and the quinoa... which had been patiently waiting in the saucepan for all those hours.
After that, I didn't try to cook quinoa again for 4 months! Now, when I cook it, the kids say "Oh! That smell reminds me of when Mr JA broke his leg!" Every time.
- 1 cup Quinoa, washed, soaked and rinsed 3 times. (Yes, I mean it!! 3 times.)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1-2 carrots; peeled and grated
- 2 sticks celery; washed and finely sliced
- 4-5 thin stalks of Asparagus*; washed and chopped
- Half to one Choko; peeled, pipped and grated
- Handful of Snowpeas**; washed and sliced diagonally
- 2-3 Spring Onions; washed and finely sliced
- Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup Rice Bran Oil
- 1-2 cloves Garlic; crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Ascorbic Acid (or Citric Acid)
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine Salad Dressing ingredients in an old jar with a good lid and give it a really good shake to combine. Set aside.
- While Quinoa is rinsing and washing, cook, drain and cool the Rice.
- Cook Quinoa gently (2 cups of water for each cup of quinoa)
- Drain and cool Quinoa
- Combine cooked grains in a salad bowl
- Add all vegies
- Stir through Salad Dressing.
Mr Frillypants would be very happy if I served this every single day! The kids love it, too. The other night, Ms D pulled a face when I told her it was Quinoa Salad for dinner... then she went up for seconds! Don't be fooled by this being a 'salad' dish... this is filling and satisfying. I have now used it as a side, along with a green salad and some meat, and as a stand-alone meal. Bowls, splades, on laps outside in the evening cool after an afternoon at the beach. (And a homemade Mexican-style beer for Mr frillypants and me.)
Add any vegies you want or have in the fridge. Experiment with cashews and legumes. But, please... tell me how it went!!!!
Oh, by the way... it's pronounced 'Kin-wah'.