Brrrr!!! Did you feel that? Autumn started. Really suddenly down in the Southern parts of Australia. Goodbye BBQs and salads and hello to belly-warming fare.
I felt certain that I would have already blogged this recipe. I found it in my notebook where I do my workings-outs then came here to get the final draft... and nope! I haven't posted it at all.
- 1 kilo diced Beef
- 1 Leek, sliced finely
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots*, diced
- 1-2 sticks Celery, sliced
- 1/2-1 Swede, diced
- 2-3 med Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup Whiskey
- 1 cup No-Tomato Sauce
- 750mls Water or Stock
- Oil for frying
- Preheat oven 180ºC
- In heavy oven-proof dish with a lid, Sauté leek, garlic, celery and carrot
- Set aside
- Add diced Beef in small batches and brown, removing each batch as you go
- Add all beef back into the pan still on the moderate heat
- Add Whiskey, stirring
- Add all Vegies
- Add Water or Stock and No-Tomato Sauce and stir to combine well
- Put into oven and cook for about 30-50 minutes
- Add peas at last 5 minutes
- Serve with steamed rice and/or other steamed vegies (green beans, brussels...)
** Moderate Amines
Verdict: Yummeh. Everyone likes this and it's the sort of meal you can eat with a splade in one hand and a nice piece of buttered, crusty bread in the other.
Tweeks: You can use whatever veg is in your fridge, but I've gone for more 'Winter' root sort of stuff here. Shred some brussel sprouts, add some legumes... please tell me how you tweek this recipe.