|Pizza Base Sauce under some Potato and Leek|
|Pizza Base Sauce with some Philly Cheese (with parsley & garlic)|
Kudos must first of all go to Monique from the Failsafe Eating Support Facebook group who mentioned a type of bolognaise sauce she makes, using butternut pumpkin. That information sat at the back of my brain for a few days and then when I went to find the recipe, I couldn't find it! Grrr. So, I just went for it!
Normally, I'm the type of person who follows a recipe to the letter before I branch out with variations. But more recently my confidence in my ability to blend flavours is increasing. Hey! I know I am no Nigella... but for the purposes of a home cook and with the limited ingredients we use, I'm doing okay.
- 600g Butternut Pumpkin, roughly cubed
- 2-4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tab Parsley, chopped
- 100 mls water
- 1 tsp Citric Acid
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pizza Base Recipe
- While your Pizza Base is rising...
- Put all ingredients into the Thermomix and cook on 100ºC for about 20 mins on Speed 2-3
- When all ingredients are cooked through, purée by slowly increasing to Speed 9 (be careful) for about 15 seconds, depending on how chunky or smooth you'd like your sauce.
- Spread onto Pizza base to serve by itself or with other toppings, eg Potato and Leek
- Freeze remaining in small portions for future quick pizzas
Yum! When I first tasted this, I pulled a sour face. Then I realised that was the right flavour... just as if I'd tried a spoon-full of a passata. On the pizza, it's just right.
Nothing so far for the flavour. Maybe more garlic? Add leek or spring onion? Could also be used on a foccacia I suppose. Fold into a savoury bread dough? Ohhhh! Stir through pasta? Tell me where you put yours, please.
Now that I have made Sandra's No-Tomato Sauce, I think adding some to this recipe would be great!