|Vegetable Soup. In this one, some kidney beans added.|
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, well rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried split peas and split mung beans, well rinsed (Or use commercial 'soup mix' which is these things and a few other dried legumes)
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 1 tab vegie stock
- 1 swede, finely diced
- 5 brussel sprouts, very finely shredded and chopped
- 2-3 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 1/4 cabbage, very finely sliced and chopped
- About 1 cup butternut pumpkin*, peeled & finely diced
- 1/2 zucchini*, peeled and finely grated
- green beans could also be added, about 1/2 cup, chopped into 1cm pieces
- extra water if needed.
- salt to taste
- In large heavy pan heat stock and add soup mix (barley, peas, mungbeans)
- Heating slowly, you may need to skim top if scum appears
- Add vege stock
- As this is cooking, chop and add the rest of the vegies.
- Start with swede as it takes the longest to cook, then add the rest as you chop them.
- Don't let it boil furiously, but gently simmering with the lid closed.
- Add more water if you need to.
- Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes so it's all cooked, but preferably longer to get the zucchini to disintegrate (hey presto!! disappeared!) and the flavours a chance to really get through it all.
This combination of vegetables, grains and legumes is so satisfying and nourishing. Add a yummy home-made bread roll, warm from the oven... yum!