|Yummy Chicken Pie|
- One portion of Shortcrust Pastry
- 500g chicken, breast or thigh, diced
- 1 leek, halved and sliced
- 1-2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- handful of Cabbage, very finely chopped (or 5 Brussel Sprouts)
- handful of Butternut Pumpkin*, finely diced
- handful of Green Beans, chopped 1cm pieces
- 2 sticks celery, halved and chopped
- About 2 tabs Plain Flour
- About 2 cups milk
- Have pastry ready and preheat oven 200ºC
- In deep fry pan, saute leek and garlic
- Add chicken and cook until lightly browned
- Remove chicken mix from pan and add other veg, saute
- Add chicken back in, Salt to taste and combine well
- Sprinkle over with flour and keep stirring, coating it all in flour
- Cook for about a minute, keeping it moving
- Gradually add milk and keep it moving, until you've reached the desired white sauce consistency
- (I just pour from the milk bottle and keep adding and stirring until I've got it right)
- Pour chicken mix into a pie dish and top with rolled pastry. Decorate to you heart's content.
- Place pie dish onto a tray (in case of boil over) and cook for 20-40 minutes in oven
- Serve with mash and veg or oven fries and veg.
Well, we love this and we haven't had it in ages. Ms C was happy with her compromise as well. Mr frillypants declared we would now be eating it 'once a week'. Yeah, right.
Previously, I made this with carrot and peas, which was fine, but I think this was even better... with lower chemical veggies. And tastier!