I happen to have some lamb chops in the freezer from my last trip to the Oakleigh Market, but looking at the frozen lump now, I can't decide what cut they are. Leg? Forequarter? Chump? I suppose any of these would do. Something with a little bit of fat... and not too fiddly or wasteful. Ms D won't touch something if she believes it might have fat attached to it.
- 3 Lamb chops
- 1-2 leeks, thickly sliced
- 4-5 potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced (about 3-5mm)
- garlic whole cloves
- Failsafe oil
- Heat oven to 180deg
- In a roasting pan, put a little oil in bottom, lay out potatoes, then leek, then chops on top.
- Put in garlic cloves, still in their skins, just around in the pan
- Bake for about 45-60 minutes and check - continue until meat is cooked and potatoes are tender (remove meat to rest if potatoes need more time.)
- (If you're short on time, you could microwave potato slices first and then put them into the roasting pan, but I think you'd miss out on some great flavours)
- Serve with steamed veg: green beans, sliced carrot*, peas**. You could even roast some parsnip in the pan since you're already baking. Maybe heat up some Butter Beans with a little butter and garlic as a side as well.
Verdict: Well, like I said, the mix of flavours with this is lovely. I have to restrain myself... I want more, more, more of it.