Bhaji


Leek Bhaji


Mr frillypants is English...  so he knows ALLLLLL about Indian food.  Right?  I was googling for some chickpea recipes and came across Onion Bhajis and I know Mr frillypants loves these... I thought "Why wouldn't leek work???"

Of course the original recipe used all sorts of aromatic spices,  but these were seriously delicious without them.  Don't tell anyone,  but I have a deep fryer... (shhhh!! I know!)... but you can use a saucepan with a good amount of failsafe oil.  I like Rice Bran Oil especially for frying as it has a high smoke point.  The bhaji do need room to fry though.

Chickpea (Besan) flour is available at healthfood shops,  but if you have a Thermomix,  just  grind dry chickpeas (not canned) on Speed 9 for a minute or so.  The water measurement is vague...  I used 80 mls and then kept adding until I could use it.

Ingredients:
  • 250g Chickpea (Besan) Flour
  • 1/5 tsp salt
  • 80-150ml water
  • 1 whole Leek,  washed, trimmed, quartered and sliced
  • Extra veg if you'd like,  but try to stay under 250g.  Eg Peas**, grated carrot *, celery, grated zucchini*, spring onion
Method:
  • Combine besan flour, salt and water and mix until a thick batter
  • Add Vegetables and stir in so they are well coated
  • Heat oil to 190ºC (or cube of bread turns golden brown in 30secs)
  • Carefully add tablespoins of the mixture to the hot oil and allow it cook until it is golden and crisp.  About 3-4 minutes.  Turn over if you need to.
  • Allow to drain and place onto paper towel
  • Keep it warm while continuing to cook the remainder of the mixture and see if you can actually have some left to serve.  I kept eating them!
  • Best served while still warm, alone or with natural yogurt** to dip.
* Moderate Salicylates  
**  Moderate Amines

Verdict:  As usual,  the kids are divided.   It's a texture they're not used to,  so it is my duty to serve it again and again until they are used to it.  Ms C, Mr frillypants and I were a bit like 'You don't like it?  GOOD!  More for me!!!  Pass that bowl over here'

Tweeks:  I mentioned the other veg you could use.  I wonder what else would be nice??

Comments