Pizza Base Sauce

Pizza Base Sauce under some Potato and Leek
 
Pizza Base Sauce with some Philly Cheese (with parsley & garlic)


 Kudos must first of all go to Monique from the Failsafe Eating Support Facebook group who mentioned a type of bolognaise sauce she makes,  using butternut pumpkin.  That information sat at the back of my brain for a few days and then when I went to find the recipe, I couldn't find it!  Grrr.  So,  I just went for it!

Normally, I'm the type of person who follows a recipe to the letter before I branch out with variations.  But more recently my confidence in my ability to blend flavours is increasing.  Hey! I know I am no Nigella... but for the purposes of a home cook and with the limited ingredients we use,  I'm doing okay.

Ingredients:
  • 600g Butternut Pumpkin, roughly cubed
  • 2-4 cloves Garlic
  • 1 Tab Parsley, chopped
  • 100 mls water
  • 1 tsp Citric Acid
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • Pizza Base Recipe
Method:
  • While your Pizza Base is rising...
  • Put all ingredients into the Thermomix and cook on 100ºC for about 20 mins on Speed 2-3
  • When all ingredients are cooked through, purée by slowly increasing to Speed 9 (be careful) for about 15 seconds, depending on how chunky or smooth you'd like your sauce.
  • Spread onto Pizza base to serve by itself or with other toppings,  eg Potato and Leek
  • Freeze remaining in small portions for future quick pizzas
Verdict:
Yum!  When I first tasted this, I pulled a sour face.  Then I realised that was the right flavour...  just as if I'd tried a spoon-full of a passata.  On the pizza,  it's just right.

Tweeks:
Nothing so far for the flavour.  Maybe more garlic? Add leek or spring onion?  Could also be used on a foccacia I suppose.  Fold into a savoury bread dough?  Ohhhh!  Stir through pasta?   Tell me where you put yours, please.

Now that I have made Sandra's No-Tomato Sauce,  I think adding some to this recipe would be great!

Comments

  1. Thanks so much. 6th day, and my kids, used to "good food" are clamoring for diversity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Anon... we all need pizza in our lives. Sometimes. :) frillypants x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments. Especially suggestions to make these meals as scrummy as possible.