These are very quick, very easy and give a lovely sweet and chewy biscuit. They are wheat-free but not for nut-free schools though. I found this recipe in a book called 500 Cookies by Philippa Vanstone... and just swapped the ground almonds for cashews. Too simple.
I thought Macaroons would be hard to make and might need some serious egg whipping, but all I had to do was mix it together. Oh.
- 100-115g Raw Unsalted Cashews
- 250g Sugar
- 2 tabs White Rice (or 1 tab rice flour)
- 2 Egg Whites
- Pre-heat oven 175ºC and line a large oven tray
- Put Rice in Thermomix and grind on Speed 9 until it is flour
- Add sugar and create caster sugar, Speed 9 about 10 seconds
- Add cashews and grind the lot, Speed 9 about 10 seconds
- Scrape it all down (including under the lid) and add Egg Whites and mix on Speed 5 for 7-10 seconds until it's well combined in a thick paste
- Pipe small rounds onto lined tray... or failing that... like I did... spoon small rounds onto lined tray and allow to sit for a couple of minutes to settle
- Put into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden
- Cool on baking tray
Nommy... but don't do what I do: "Oh, that was so yummy I think I'll have another.... hmmmm... kids are still in the other room... I'd better grab another while I can... oh... I feel sick." Very sweet.
If I made these with some sort of cream between two, I'd make sure the biscuits were much smaller.