Fruit & Custard Pillows

Pear and Custard Pillows
This one has been doing the rounds, it seems.  This is my little adaption...  fruit and pastry is not enough.  I want custard, too!!! Oh yes... I do.   I first saw this recipe on Facebook page: HalfBaked.  She linked back to the Thermomix forum to this thread: Reply 9 and then I also found it on Bambi & Bimby.  Check the other recipes for alternatives to sweeteners and fruit I've used.  Each had their own take on the fruit used, but everyone agreed, they were 'just like a bought one'.  That's what makes these great for the school lunch box.  They look like the ones the poor unfortunate kids have... the kids with the packet ones full of crappy additives.   Cut these to whatever size you like.  Mine were about 15cms the first try and then about 5cm the next time.  I think that's a better 'snack size' for my kids. 

Looking down the page at this recipe,  it looks really involved.  Actually,  it's very easy!


Ingredients:

Fruit Filling
  • 250 g canned Pear 
  • 15g Syrup from can
  • 50g Rice Malt Syrup
  • 1/4 tsp Citric Acid
  • 20g cornflour
Custard filling
  • 75g Vanilla Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 500g Milk
  • 40g cornflour
Pastry
  • 125g Butter
  • 50g Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 260g Plain Flour
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • little bit of milk


Method:

Fruit
  • Put all ingredients into TMX 
  • Cook on 100ºC for 5 minutes, Speed 2-3
  • Put mixture into another bowl to cool
Custard
  • Don't worry about cleaning bowl
  • Put all ingredients into TMX
  • Cook on 90ºC for 7 minutes on Speed 4
  • Put into another bowl to cool
Pastry
  • Cream Butter and Sugar using Butterfly on Speed 4
  • Scrape down
  • Add Egg and beat well
  • Remove butterfly, scrape down and add Flour and Baking Powder
  • Bring together on Speed 4
  • Then knead, adding a little milk if needed, to create a ball of pastry
  • Divide pastry into 3 balls
  • Roll each piece into a fat sausage-shape.  About the length of your hand from wrist to finger-tip
  • Flatten out pastry (I used rolling pin) to a piece about 20cm-ish long
  • Spread the Fruit filling and Custard filling down the middle of the pastry (I used a spoon but thought piping would work better)
  • Roll pastry in each side to form a 'sausage roll' shape
  • Cut to size required and place onto lined tray, seam-side down
  • I cut off the messy ends and left those as 'open tarts', figuring they'd make great 'testers'.
  • Brush with milk
  • Cook in oven at 180degC for about 20 minutes 
  • Makes approx 18 pieces.
Verdict:  The only one who didn't love this was Mr JA who, at 20 months, found the outside 'biscuit' too dry.  Everyone else is in lerve!!  It's not too sweet,  but just right.  The pastry is not dry but still a bit crumby.  To bite in and get the mix of all the flavours is lovely.

Tweeks:  Yesterday I made these for the first time and did only the pear filling.  That was also lovely,  but I got a bit greedy and decided custard was also needed.  When I get some Golden Delicious apples, I'll try an apple one as well.  Or... apple and custard!!  Mmmmmmmm.

    Comments

    1. thank you so much for all your lovely recipes or tweaks to improve others. My teenage daughter has finally agreed to try failsafe .. as long as it looks and tastes like store bought so i think these will be a great way to start.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh I wish you all the best. With a 12 yr old I am getting a glimpse of the teen years ahead... and I can only say I am glad the Failsafe stuff SORTED before we get there. (And that's the tolerant one!!) Your daughter might also like the muesli bars, they look a bit commercial. :)

      frillypants x

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Please leave your comments. Especially suggestions to make these meals as scrummy as possible.