I don't have a very good history with Vanilla Slice. My main memory is Dad bringing them home for me whenever I was sick from school. I wasn't sure which was worse; the idea of dealing with a 'snot block' when I was sick or that Dad didn't remember I didn't like them! Later I tried one that was not from a big commercial place and I changed my mind. Now I see what Dad was trying to show me.
This is super easy.
- 1 pkt Sao biscuits (Yes, I use Saos, not pastry!! So sue me!!)
- A deep tray, about 25x30cm. Mine fitted 3x3 Sao biscuits exactly
Custard filling (from TMX book, pg 155)
- 75g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 500g milk
- 40g cornflour
- 5g vanilla essence
- 1 cup sugar
- 35g butter
- 2 small pears (I used 4 canned halves)
- a little water/syrup if needed
- Place sugar into TMX and pulverise for 20 seconds on Speed 9
- Scrape down and add remaining custard ingredients
- Cook for 7 minutes at 90degC on Speed 4
- Line pan with one layer of Sao biscuits
- Spread all of custard onto bottom layer of biscuits
- Top with another layer of biscuits
- Place 1 cup of sugar into TMX and pulverise for 20 seconds on Speed 9
- Add butter
- Cream until well combined
- Add pears and process briefly until well chopped
- Put in butterfly attachment and continue creaming on Speed 4, watching until it is the desired consistency
- Scrape down and add a little water or syrup if necessary
- Spread onto top Sao layer and put back into fridge until the Saos have softened and icing is set.
Mmmmm. Yuummmmmm. Mmmmmmmmm. Ms D said "Mum! I am speechless!!" She's a laugh. :)
I think I could also do this with the Carob Custard. And one day I'll find a Failsafe recipe for the pastry.