Pear Leather (or Pear 'Rollups')

Pear Leather or 'Rollups'



This is from the Failsafe website... but learn from my mistakes.  :)

Ingredients:
  • 2 large cans of pears in syrup
  • 1/2 tsp Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (optional)
Method:
  • Drain Pears and allow to drip dry for a good long time
  • Pre-heat oven to 75-100ºC
  • Line 1 or 2 oven trays with good quality baking paper
  • Puree Pear with Ascorbic Acid
  • With a spatula, spread the pear puree thinly over the baking paper
  • Cook in oven for 3-4 hours
  • Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to handle and remove from paper
  • Starting on the long side,  roll pear leather up and then slice with a sharp knife
  • Or, cut leather into strips and then roll.
Verdict:
Everyone is very excited to be having 'Rollups'.  I can see that the teachers may not think that this is 'brain food', but I'm just going to have to go and talk with them again.  Won't they be surprised to find it is pear, only pear and nothing but the pear.

Tweeks:
Oh my goodness,  I made so many mistakes doing this. 

I tried to dry the pear purée,  but the baking paper I used just got soggy and tore apart.  Messy.  At first it was just too thick...  and when I say 'at first' I mean after four hours!!!  (I'd hate to see the electricity bill after all this.) I touched it to see if it was dried and my finger just sank into the puree!!!  
Gah!  So, I scraped it all off and re-spread it much more thinly on 3 trays instead of 2.   I started off at 75 degrees,  but then went to 100.  That might just be my oven though.  The extra thin trays were in the oven for somewhere between 3 and 4 hours, with us just checking it until we decided it was ready.  I have stored these in the fridge, but only since I'm playing it safe.  I suppose it should be okay in the pantry??



















Comments