|Egg rings with handles|
Beware though, this is time consuming, so don't attempt if you have to be somewhere else. This is 'stand at the pan' sort of stuff. You might also like to invest in some egg rings to cook these in. (I have found out since that there exists in the stores "crumpet rings". I have yet to see them in the flesh, though.) You certainly can let it go all rustic, but you'll miss out on the height. They'll be just as yummy though. When I find out who made the recipe, I'll add the credit.
Makes about 20 when using egg rings and 1/4 cup to scoop.
- 250g water
- 250g milk
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 510g (3 cups) plain flour
- large pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 250g water, extra
- oil if your fry pan is not non-stick
- Place milk, water and sugar into TMX and warm 60degC for 4 minutes on speed 2
- Sprinkle yeast over liquid and leave for 10 minutes
- Add flour and salt and mix Speed 6 10 seconds, then Speed 4 until well combined (I got a thick batter rather than a dough)
- Leave in warm spot for an hour or until doubled in size
- Dissolve Sodi Bic in extra water, pour into dough mix and beat well. Speed 4 until well combined
- Heat up fry pan until medium-hot and place egg rings onto pan
- Gently pour batter into each egg ring
- You may need to tinker with the heat to get it right, but the crumpet should cook all the way through, without flipping, and not have a burned bottom. This will take 3-5 minutes.
- It is cooked when the bubbles have formed, burst and set on top.
- Flip over to lightly brown the top (only about 5 seconds)
- Remove egg ring and allow to cool on cooling rack
- Use straight away or store and eat cold. Or toast them in the toaster.
Verdict: Do I have to share them??? These will be great in school lunch boxes, but best for a hot toasted after-school snack.
Tweeks: The other day I was in Woolworths (Safeway) and found these great egg rings with handles!! So, I grabbed a pack of four. Even though they're not as large as crumpet rings, they have the added benefit of actually existing in a store near me!!