Sausage Casserole

Oh, how I miss this comfort food.  Sausages in a tomato sauce, with onion rings and celery and... and ... and...  just yum!  Served with mash and steamed veg.  Make sure you get a good blob of mash on the fork with the sausage and the sauce.  Well,  that's what I was aiming for and I got close I think.


INGREDIENTS:
  • 700g - 1 kilo Failsafe sausages  (about 7-10 sausages)
  • 300g Pear Ketchup
  • 300g water
  • 1 leek - roughly chopped
  • Garlic
  • 2-3 Spring onions - roughly chopped
  • 1-2 carrots - finely diced
  • 2-3 celery sticks - finely sliced
  • 1 tab malt vinegar
  • Salt to taste
 METHOD:
  • Place leek and garlic into TMX bowl and hit turbo for 2 seconds to finely dice
  • Add knob butter or little oil and saute on 100 degrees for 2 minutes on Speed 2
  • Add all the other ingredients, except sausages, to the TMX
  • Attach Varoma and place sausages in there, ensuring plenty of space for steam to come through
  • Cook 100 degrees for 20 minutes on Speed 3
  • Check sausages are coooked and cut each into 4 or more pieces
  • Place sausages into casserole dish, pour over with sauce and cook, lid on, in moderate oven for about 20 minutes.
Serve with mash etc, of course.

Verdict:  A mixed reation.  Ms D loves it... kept asking what it reminded her of.  Ms C, loved the sausages and not the sauce (go figure) and Mr JR didn't eat....  but that's probably because he's a practising Breatharian as many 3-year-olds are.   My Frillypants and I both liked it a lot.

Tweeks:
I thought the Malt vinegar should be halved....  which I have already done in the recipe.  I didn't make enough mashed potato... disappointing.

    Comments

    1. I thought Malt vinegar was not failsafe, it has both Sals and amines.

      As a side note - I use pumpkin soup as my base for casseroles in place of tomato, works a treat, will be trying this later in the week. I cant yet seem to get my sausages to cook in the Varoma.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi agrantham81. According to the RPAH Elimination Diet Handbook (2009), Malt Vinegar is listed as moderate for amines and sals are not noted at all.

      However, other vinegars (red, white wine, cider) are listed as very high for both sals and amines, so I was surprised to see the Malt Vinegar listed where it was.

      What sort of sausages are you using? What do you mean by "can't get them to cook?". Are they still pink inside? Are the Varoma holes blocked? Being fairly new to TMX myself, maybe you should ask at the TMX forum ??

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Please leave your comments. Especially suggestions to make these meals as scrummy as possible.