Potato & Leek Soup

*GREEN* Potato and Leek Soup
I've resisted this....  I thought is didn't sound very appetising.  I haven't changed my mind yet.... it's only started cooking!  But I've been encouraged to try with reviews of the basic Failsafe recipe on the Facebook Failsafe Eaters Support Group (see links).  So, I've combined the recipe from Facebook with the Thermomix Recipe book and came up with this.  Here's hoping it doesn't end up with us eating porridge for dinner instead.  :/

Edited later...  Oh yes!  Very tasty.  Surprisingly tasty.  

Ingredients:
  • 200g Leek, washed and roughly chopped
  • 1 clove Garlic, peeled
  • 2-3 Spring Onions, washed and chopped to long pieces
  • Butter
  • 700g Potatoes (2-3 large), peeled and cubed
  • 1 Swede, diced. (Optional)
  • 1 tab Vegetable Stock Concentrate
  • 700g Water
  • Cream and chopped chives to serve
Method:
  • Place Leeks, Spring Onions and Garlic into TMX and chop for 10 seconds on Speed 7
  • Add a little Butter and saute for 2 minutes on 100ºC on Speed 1
  • Add Potatoes, Stock, Water  and  cook for 25 minutes on 100ºC on Speed 1
  • Once cooked,  blend to smooth consistency by slowly going from Speed 1 to Speed 8 for 30 seconds.
  • Serve in bowls, top with cream and garnish with chopped chives.
Verdict:  What a surprising evening that was.  Ms C thought it was a great idea... but didn't like it in the end.  MsD thought it sounded horrible...  then had 2 bowls.  Mr frillypants also had 2 bowls and  Mr JR & Mr JA both had a go.    The ones I thought would love it,  didn't.  And vice versa.  I did make it too salty and so I've adjusted the recipe above.  (ie Removed salt and halved stock concentrate)  I expect without as much stock,  the colour will calm down.  It was very green!  And yummy!!!!

Tweeks:  I added a diced swede to the mix when I was trying to tone down the salt content... and it didn't change the flavour at all.  So,  go ahead and add swede for more hidden vegies.
In googling I found another with celery,  so add that too if you want.

    Comments

    1. Hi, I have just purchased a TMX and we are also a failsafe family. I have come across your great blog and am going to print our a few recipes for when it arrives (10 days and counting!) Thanks so much for recording your families cooking pursuits and I look forward to reading more TMX recipes. Now i have to work out how to subscribe to your posts. Do you have a facebook profile that you post your blog links to? Thanks so much. Alison (in TAS)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Alison, good luck for when your TMX arrives. Don't be disheartened in the first few weeks as you learn how to cook all over again. You might get to a point where you wonder if you've made the right decision. Trust me!!! (why??) You have!!

      As for following my blog, well, you can do that through Facebook on 'Networked Blogs' and then my posts will appear on your newsfeed. Or to get emails... scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see Followers. Click on there and you should be able to sort it out. Actually, I'm a bit of a nuffy when it comes to this stuff. So if I've given you the wrong instructions, please tell me!!! :/

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oh look. You can click on 'Networkedblogs' down there as well. :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. It's great to see other people working on allergy-friendly recipes! I just started up an amines blog (amines break my joints... it sucks), which is about to be expanded upon by my nutritionist and I will also be adding many, many more recipes. Thought maybe you'd find it handy, and perhaps you might find it useful enough to link to.

      http://aminerecipes.wordpress.com

      Best to you,
      Michelle F.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Another great recipe. Thanks. I added about 1 1/2 sticks of celery and half a choko that I had left over. Also had the pot simmering and realised I had no cream so I used a couple of good dollops of Quark which made it quite creamy and added a bit of a tang.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Please leave your comments. Especially suggestions to make these meals as scrummy as possible.